First Week of New Job!

| 1 comment

Well, I want to thank all the well wishers on the new job I have and also give you all an update on it.

I spent the last 5 days in Eagan, MN for training at our store located close to Pilot Knob road. It was a busy 5 days, and included lots of information.

Day one was spent going through a ream and 1/2 of paper forms and information about Carlson Systems. All the things they need to review with a new employee and lots of things requiring signatures.  And of course introduction to all the employees located in Eagan, 4 other sales people, 3 service technicians, 3 supervisors of various departments including my new boss, and also 2 sales support staff, and also 2 warehouse people. I also got the first glimpse of the computer system we use for all facets of our business. Which is a DOS based system. After a long day, I stayed in a local Microtel close to the office.

Day 2 was spent, actually reviewing product information of our major fastener lines, and also more about the companies who manufacturer them. So I now know lots about nails, staples and screws of all kinds. I also had to complete a physical at an occupational clinic in Edina. I enjoyed supper that night at The Blue Door Pub, where my daughter Misty was working one of her weekly shifts. Met her employers and enjoyed a great comboy blucey! Also got to drive the new company Ram cargo van, that I have now to drive all over for work...pretty sweet, and also nothing to fancy but it is new!

Day 3 was more product information, about the tools used to drive the nails, staples and screws. We played with all the different brands we handle which is 4 main lines, this was hands on training, we actually were shooting nails and staples into a pallet frame. It was a good way to see how each tool worked, and felt in your hands. The afternoon, I sat down with one of  our vendor reps who is our packaging strap provider, we reviewed all the types of strap and and the tools used. This was pretty cool, and interesting to see the differences in the tools and products. That night I had supper with Misty, Chris and Addy and Livia at a Bonfires Rest., this was to allow them to take my pickup as I had to drive my company vehicle back up north at the end of the week.

Day 4, was a complete review of our dealer program and how we set those up with tools and fasteners all morning long. After lunch I sat down with one of the other salesman who sells a lot of packaging supplies and machinery, this is some pretty cool stuff and I will have to gets some pictures of things as I work with them. But by the end of the afternoon, I was reaching mental overload.

Day 5, a review of computer systems with my boss and various reports and how to get to them, and I also got a review of how those reports can be used for customers. After the morning was pretty well gone, I loaded up my 3 storage bins of information and supplies and headed up to my new work home, the St Cloud store that I will be based out of. I got there about 1:30 and took a look around with our new location, which is bright and pretty clean and still undergoing the process of getting organized, but it looks great! I visited with the two people there my Store Operations Manager Ken, and Lyle his support and parts, and service person. These two guys are very friendly, and looking forward to a new working relationship with me. I had a good visit with Ken on some plans for the next week!

Each evening, I of course checked in with Crystalie, to see how things were going back at Coffee Lake Farm, and it was good to get home Friday late afternoon!

As you can see it was a very busy 5 days and I have lots of information to digest and to also read, at least I am blessed with a good memory and a lot of what I saw and read sticks with me pretty well, plus I have a vast resource of people who are anxious to share and help, all I have to do is ask!

Thanks to all my well wishers, and I wanted to provide an update for you!


One Comment

  1. Phew...that's exhausting! Thanks for the update, sounds exciting :)