Reuseable parts!

| 0 Comments

Yes, my truck, which is not the one pictured it but it is pretty darn close, needed some attention.

Last week, I heard some grinding and clunking close to the drivers side front wheel, and I crawled under it and found that the CV Shaft...for the 4 wheel drive for that wheel... was loose, and the joint protection cap was split in two. Which has allowed all the dust and dirt and whatever into the joint that gives it flexibility.

It would run down the road in 2 wheel drive fine, but when I turned you would hear this grinding and clunking sound. Anyhow not good!

I went to one of my favorite auto supply stores...Shipman Auto Parts...they deal in used parts that they and other similar businesses take off of junked out vehicles or vehicles involved in accidents and strip them down for parts that are undamaged but have some wear of course.

The CV shaft for my drivers side front wheel cost me $129.00 complete with rubber boots that protect the shaft joints, normally new this part listed at $420.00. Big difference, everything I have purchased from Shipman has been about 30-40% of the new price.

I got it installed at a local garage close to us, that works on cars, not a fancy dealer shop, but they do good work, and was recommended to me by Brother-in-law Mitch. That came to $121.00 which was about 2 hours of time, they bill by what the repair book says the time it should take someone to replace it.

All in all, it is fixed for much less than the new part, and I know can head out on the road for work, with out worrying about an eminent breakdown.