The other project

| 2 Comments

I mentioned the other day I was working on a couple of projects, and this was the other one.
I insulated my water tank the animals use in their lot, it is starting to cold again, and I will soon
have to plug in the tanks heater, which uses a lot of electricity.

So I used a bunch of the extra lumber scraps I hauled home from the pool deck project I completed earlier this year. I made a large wood box frame, about 6 inches bigger than the tank...
about 52 by 33 inches and 24 inches deep. 
After that I lined it with 2 inch thick I density foam board all the sides and the bottom,
its pretty tough stuff and it isn't hurt by water.
After I set the tank in I used smaller pieces and filled in the corners and then
I used foam spray in a can, to fill in the gaps. 
I cut the top pieces to conform to the shape of the tank and screwed them in place and
filled in the caps with more spray foam. It definitely added more weight to the tank, but it should
hopefully make it much easier to heat the water and keep it from freezing.

After this I moved it back to its spot, and filled it up, and I will not plug the heater
in till we get some much colder weather. I may add a partial sheet of the foam board later in the winter that will float on top of the water to help hold some heat in the tank.

I had about $50.00 in expense to do the project, which was the spray foam and the foam board.
But I am sure it will pay for itself in a year or so.

2 Comments

  1. You could paint it black and let the sun help you heat it !! (Just a thought) :)

  2. I was thinking along the same lines, I will have to buy some paint...to do it. Thanks...