Getting ready for winter!

| 3 Comments

Well, I spent this last weekend working on a bunch of projects all over the farm, so here is the list...

1. Cleaned out both gardens, picked up the tomato stands, put all my pvc rings away, and cut off the cornstalks and sunflower stocks, piled them outside of the fence for deer to pick at. Then I mowed the trash left in the garden...more of a mulching process. Then I worked up both plots with the tiller and cultivator section that I pull behind the garden tractor. That concluded all the garden chores.

2. Tarped the corn crib gazebo, every year I put 4 small tarps around the outside of the gazebo, I fasten them with zip ties, and a few tarp straps across the doorway part. But not before I fill it up with all the yard furniture, and anything else I can squeeze in to protect from the snow and ice...the back deck looks really bare right now.

3. Finished the insulated water tank project and filled it. Their is a previous post on the construction of this.

4. Finished stacking and cleaning up the 10 yard pile of post scraps, brother-in-law Mitch brought over for the Backbarn Studio firewood supply. This involved a number of other nights of sorting and stacking and filling the little leanto full to the rafters. I then pushed the sawdust and dirt all into the horse lot for some fill by the feed bunk.

5. I then proceeded to move all the items outside around the shop. To more permanent storage for the winter, this includes all the old shovels and items that were leaning against the wall, and old step ladders, all Wooden Nichols items and put them out of the way of the snowplowing process.

6. I pulled in the swimming raft and put the boats in their place for the winter.

7. I also cut about a cord of firewood, and will be doing much more of that now that all the things above are done.

Needless to say I was busy and pretty tired out by Sunday night, I did get to enjoy some of the Vikings Football game, and also I listened to most of the Gophers big win on Saturday. Plus of course entertaining Smarkle and Tootsie all weekend!


3 Comments

  1. Um, yes, I got tired just reading this post...nice job, Rory!

  2. Getting ready for winter can take a lot of effort, especially for people who own farms and ranches. But doing this will prevent you from encountering more problems when spring comes. Anyway, great job on your winter project, Rory!

  3. I salute you for all your hard work and preparation for winter. With that, you’ll be able to feel relaxed knowing that you have done everything to keep cozy all throughout the season – and you will definitely get to enjoy it even more. The reward is worth the effort, Rory! ;)