Technology that saves firewood!

| 1 comment

Well below you see a new feature in our home, I finally found a line voltage thermostat
that is programmable and hopefully will save us some firewood and still keep us
very nice and warm!
I installed this little box where my old dial thermostat was, which involved hooking up
some wires and then setting it. It has 4 periods a day that you can set your temps.
So at 6:15 am it will take our temperature up to 73 degrees till around 8:30 am.
At 8:30 am it will let the house cool down to 65 degrees and then at 5:15 pm or so it will bring the
temp up to 73 degrees and keep it there till 11:15 pm. Which is about the time I turn in and it will then maintain the heat till 6:15am at about 65 degrees. That is how the weekday settings are set, I also changed the weekend settings to something similar, just a little longer morning settings.

I am hoping with the cooler temp at night and the day temp being controlled at a lower temp it will help save some of my wood pile, plus reduce my electric bill some with the fan running less. If you don't have one, get one!  Mine is a more expensive model because it is the type for a baseboard heat system, which is similar to how our woodstove system works.

This was a $45.00 investment and which I am sure will pay for itself within a month or so.

One Comment

  1. Yes these are great, we had one at the old house with a fuel oil furnace and it did indeed save on heating costs. Deb & Rick